Thursday 24 July 2008

Letter From America

Coooee! Over here! It's almost 8pm on the east coast of America, which means it's almost 1am in England, which means I must go to bed immediately. The children went to sleep at 6pm, but will be wide awake and eating Cheerios by 3am - I guarantee.

It's wet and humid today, and I'm in Big G's Dad's house. Grandad G lost the love of his life to illness 6 years ago, and he wears his grief like a pale grey cloak soaked in the tears of a longing, lonely soul. The ceiling fans purr, the dogs pad about and bark at cars and the clock on the fireplace ticks as it always has. Grandad G and I sat at the kitchen table of this classic New England home, ate omelette with salad, and talked the world right like old buddies do.

Our two English Roses are frothing with excitement at the thought of seeing their California Cousins who arrive on Saturday. 3 bright blond pre-schoolers, born 18 months apart and sunny as the place they live in.

It feels good to be here. I so need a holiday!

18 comments:

  1. Have a great time. Enjoy, as they say over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely holiday and thanks for calling in to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's 11pm here in Australia, on a winter night with frost and ice.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for the wonders of the internet hey? Hope you have a wonderful time in America, as I'm sure you will. Thanks for the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, the big question. Not, were the children awake and eating breakfast at 3am - of course they were. But was it Cheerios or Lucky Charms?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful break. The sun has finally come out here in England so I'm not the slightest bit jealous. Ok alright already, maybe a little bit.
    I have an award for you at my pad (I'm such a doofus I forgot to tell you about it). Anyway you know now. A holiday present.
    http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/fromdawntillrusk/2008/07/look-at-me-with-my-shiny-new-p.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potty Mummy, yes, 2.55am on the dot. And they had Fruit Loops - tasty, sugary, brightly coloured cereal with absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. I brought the Snakes & Ladders board and a dice, but no counters, so we played with Fruit Loops which worked perfectly.

    Tara, well now thank yoooo! I'll be right over ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your holiday and have an excellent weekend in the America's :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy! you're not missing anything here, except the Canoe Wife trial and Labour losing another by-election..yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, so good you could spend time with Granddad G. Sounds like he needs some companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a brilliant time and I am sure you will all make Granddad G lose a little greyness while you are there. Love Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- this is exciting! I loved this post- I felt like I was almost arriving myself, your descriptions were so vivid....especially the bit about Grandad G....it was very moving.
    I can't wait to read the follow up!...have a wonderful time, but keep us posted if you can!
    Bella:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a great time. Sounds idyllic. I so hate you.

    (Not really). :0) *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like it is a wonderful place to be. Have an absolutely great holiday.You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You left the country and didn't invite me?
    I thought (sniff) we were friends..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely word play. That's why I love coming in. I have an award for you at my place, check the Friday post (just before the Photo Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun - hope you find time to fill us in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope the weather improves and that you can cheer up Grandad.

    Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete