Monday 26 July 2010

Goodbye Little White House

For my patient and forgiving readers who have been peering into this unreliable window on my life through their computer screens since 2008 ... when I first started wailing, and wondering why, and writing about how I had packed up and left my home, all my precious (but now fading) friends, my livelihood and the familiar streets of the birthplace of my precious babies and moved back down south ... well, we've finally sold the house!

Yes, our little white house in Cheshire. A place that holds a pinata-full of memories ... a little poke and they all come tumbling out. I still wish I could pick up that house that we nurtured so, and bring it down here. But that is of course fanciful silly-talk, and we've agreed to sell it to a stranger named Johns. Or is it Jones? Whoever they are, I hope they'll be happy there. I know I was (most of the time anyway).

Perhaps now Big G and I will be able to put down some new roots? Goodness knows, we have a bag full of homeless, dangling roots that need to be dug in somewhere.

7 comments:

  1. I am so pleased! Its lovely to hear from you again.

    I too, left a little house in Cheshire when I was eight.
    I still remember everything in this house and garden..... just as it was when we left it.
    This was the house that I loved.......sigh.....
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on selling; it must feel weird though. We will probably sell our house in London quite soon - I lived there for 10 years, and while I don't really want to live in it again, it will be very poignant when we finally say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always soooo nice to see/hear you .. congrats on the sale, is the market as bad over there as its been here? Regardless. I hope the Jones/Johns love the Little White House as much as you did and that you find the perfect place to root!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't leave your memories, though. You'll ALWAYS have them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've cut the last tie and can start to build your new life. And as ADDY says, you'll still have your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is a hard tie to sever, i know. when i go up north i always cruise past the old family home, now owned by nobody i know. bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wondering how you were getting along.

    Great to hear you had sold the house. Hope you have found somewhere equally lovely.

    warm wishes

    ReplyDelete